It is highly recommended for parents to avoid exposing their babies and toddlers to the sun especially from 10am to 3pm. They should be protected by keeping them covered with clothes and shaded by umbrella. Using sunscreen should be considered but it should not be used as an excuse not to apply other safety measures. You should keep in mind that applying sunscreen on your baby’s skin won’t make your baby 100% protected. So, you should not use sunscreen to prolong the exposure of the baby to the sun.
The following are points to consider for babies, toddlers as well as for pre-teens and adults.
- Do not stay under the sun from 10 am to 3pm
- Keep the baby covered with clothes, hats and sun glasses
- Do not burn
- Lastly, apply a sunscreen for baby and toddler with 30+ SPF on your baby’s skin areas that are exposed to the sun.
Simple tips that help you choosing the best sunscreen for babies and kids
- In choosing the best sunscreen for your baby, you should check if the product has ‘broad spectrum’ label. Broad spectrum means that the sunscreen protects the skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Babies should use a sunscreen with SPF of 30 and above to maximize sun protection.
- Buy a sunscreen that is made only for babies, toddlers and young children. These sunscreens are made specifically for them who have more sensitive skin than adults. These sunscreens are composed of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These chemicals are the ones that refuse the UV from entering the skin. Thus, these prevent the baby’s skin from irritations and harmful effects of UV.
- If your baby has a skin condition such as eczema, you should be extra careful and you should check further. Look at the ingredients of the sunscreen and identify those ingredients that may irritate the skin of your baby or may result to allergy.
- When you have chosen what specific sunscreen to use for your baby, test it first on a small area of the baby’s exposed skin. If redness or rash occurs on the skin area where you applied the sunscreen, you should not use that sunscreen further. You should opt to choosing a hypoallergenic formula. Then test it on a small area to check if it won’t irritate the skin of the baby.
- You should know that there is no much difference between SPF 15, SPF 30, and SPF 60. SPF 15 provides 93% protection, SPF 30 provides 96% protection and SPF 60 provides 98% protection. So, choosing any of these will provide enough protection to your baby’s skin. But, you may choose higher SPF if you prefer maximizing sun protection for your baby.
- Furthermore, you should know that there is no sunscreen that can provide 100% sun protection to your baby’s skin. So, you should apply sunscreen liberally. Do not apply sunscreen on your baby thinking that it will protect the baby from sun even if you keep her exposed for a long time. Sunscreen is not an excuse to extend the time of staying outside between 10am – 3pm.
Keep these following points in mind when purchase sunscreen for babies and kids
- Choose a sunscreen that has water resistance.
- Check the expiry date printed on the bottle.
- Wait for 15-30 minutes time after applying sunscreen before you expose the baby to the sun. This amount of time is enough for the skin to absorb the sunscreen.
- Only apply the sunscreen on clean and dry skin.
- Apply the sunscreen very lightly.
- Reapply the sunscreen every after two hours or even more if necessary.
- Cheaper brands are effective as expensive brands if they are applied properly. Don’t think that expensive brands have better SPF or can provide better protection to your baby.
These are the things you need to consider in choosing the best sunscreen for your baby.