One of the concerns of mothers is when the right time is to take their babies out after birth. Many pediatricians recommend keeping the baby from exposing him outside until 2 months to ensure that the baby has stronger immune system and has gotten his first round of vaccinations. It is easy for infants to get sick because they have weak immune system. However, there are various recommendations from mothers based on their experiences.
Some mothers exposed their baby everyday to sunlight from birth to two months, as recommended by their doctors. Their babies didn’t get sick from fever or flu. On the other hand, some mothers experienced that their babies got sick from exposing them outside.
Either case, the mothers should know that if babies get sick from fever or flu it may lead to hospital admission for at least 35 hours, septic work up (including spinal tap) or fetal death. Thus, extra safety should be prioritized.
Going out with a newborn
In some instances taking the baby out before two months is unavoidable especially when mothers have to go out and their husbands are at work. In this case, there are safety measures that mothers should apply to prevent the babies from getting sick.
- Know your environment and be updated from your local news. If there is a high rate of getting sick during the current season then avoid going out with the baby. Know that in some countries, during winter and early spring viruses are in prime season while in some countries, rainy season and summer are when the cases of having viruses are in high rate. But, this varies from one country to another. So, knowing your environment and the weather condition in your location is very important.
- Know how viruses are spread. Some viruses are spread by droplets. These droplets are spread by air. When someone who has a virus goes out, then there is a tendency that he spreads the virus to all the people in that area. The problem is you don’t know if the one beside you is having a flu or fever so it is better to avoid exposing the baby to public and congested areas where there are too many people like grocery stores, malls and parks. Remember that your baby has weak immune system. You may not acquire the virus, but your baby may.
- Some viruses are spread by physical contact. So avoid letting people touch, kiss and breath over your baby especially if you know they have a fever or flu.
- If you have to go out for urgent matters or just for fresh air, make sure the baby wears comfortable, appropriate and covered clothes.
- If you go to people you know such as friends, colleagues or family, surely they will touch, carry or kiss your baby. In that case, have a hand sanitizer with you and don’t be shy to request them to sanitize their hands before touching your baby. Make them feel that you are doing it for your baby’s safety and not to insult them.
- Keep in mind that you can get germs by touching public things for example cart handles in grocery stores, so you should sanitize the handle with sanitizing wipes. And, sanitize your hand before and after touching it.
- You may cover the baby with blanket to protect her from virus or you may put her on baby stroller with cover.
- Exposing the baby to sunlight/natural light for few minutes is recommended by some pediatricians; in this case make sure the baby wears appropriate clothes. Some mothers expose their babies to sunlight naked which is a big NO.
- Breastfeed your baby because breast milk will increase the baby’s immune system. It will make him have high resistance from viruses.
- If your baby is premature or has other conditions, then he may be more fragile than other babies. In that case, avoid exposing him outside.
- The most important thing is you should be clean and healthy. You should wear clothes that are clean and you should clean your body and hands often. You should also avoid getting sick because it will affect your baby especially if you are breastfeeding him. You are the one who has the closest and direct contact to your baby. So you should also avoid exposing yourself to public and going near to people who have fever or flu.
What you should care about when can a newborn go outside ?
So these are some safety measures that you may apply to prevent your baby from getting sick in times you need to take him out. Keep in mind that babies have different immune system. Other mothers may suggest you to isolate your baby inside home because they experienced that their babies got sick from public environment.
On the hand, other mothers may suggest that you should expose your baby to fresh air and sunlight because they saw positive changes to their babies when they did it.
Some positive changes they may have experienced are – their babies adapted the public environment thus the baby don’t get scared or shocked easily and their babies got stronger immune system. But your baby is different from their babies, so you should not just follow their suggestions. It is important that you should know your baby well by asking the pediatrician, observing your baby and following your mother’s instinct. If your baby has sensitive conditions such as premature birth, then you may have to take extra care.
As a mother, you want only the best for your baby so you want to know the best time when to take him out. Although, keeping your baby at home until two months is the safer option there are instances that you have to go out and no one can take care of your baby at home. So, in that case it is very important that you follow the safety measures provided on this article. It may not ensure 100% protection to your baby but it will reduce the risks. So be alert and take extra care.